Saturday, May 5, 2012

Meet my favourite sweet Italian
















Sadly for me, this delicious dessert is boombah heaven, full of mascarpone cheese, sugar, eggs, grog and coffee-soaked savoiardi biscuits -- all delicious, but not good on the waistline.

I'm still a big fan of the Italian treat, so I came up with my own de-boombahed version (right).

I call it "cream of tiramisu" because it has all the flavour and texture of the real thing, but I left out all the big, fat mamma bits in favour of light cream and Greek yoghurt.

I also use coconut sugar, which is low on the Glycemic Index and much better for you than regular processed cane sugar.

You can find coconut sugar at health food shops, and the health food sections of bigger supermarkets.

But the most important tip to remember when making this dessert (and all meals) is to keep the serving sizes small.



JANE'S TIRAMISU

Serves 4

1 cup light cream

2 tsp coconut sugar

1/2 cup light Greek yoghurt

1/2 cup espresso coffee (or

1 tbs instant coffee in 1/2 cup boiled water, cooled)

1 tbs Kahlua or other coffee-based liqueur

1 tbs good quality cocoa powder

* Whip the cream with the coconut sugar until it forms nice peaks. Gently fold through the yoghurt with a rubber spatula. Gently fold through the coffee, a little at a time. Gently fold through the liqueur.

* Place the mixture in individual shot glasses and sift the cocoa powder over each glass.

* Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.

Source:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/meet-my-favourite-sweet-italian/story-fn6bn9st-1226347768532

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails