Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Famed chicken recipe meets grill

















When I was young, Julia Child was as much a fixture in my family's kitchen as she was on television.

Not only did my mother watch her, she cooked right along with her, as well. The local public television station sent the recipes in advance and my mother collected them in a three-ring binder that she still has.

My favorite menu was what we referred to as “French Chicken,” a butterflied chicken that is slathered with a mustard, white wine and scallion sauce that bakes on during roasting, becoming a delectable crust and infusing the chicken with the heady flavors of Dijon.

The vegetable was fresh peas cooked with Boston lettuce, and dessert was a delicious apple tart with Grand Marnier-spiked applesauce and a layer of apricot-glazed apple slices on top. This menu often was served as a birthday meal, so it is a fitting menu as we near Child's 100th birthday celebration.

I lived in Paris for a while, and when I came back to the U.S., I started working in the food world. Much to my delight, even though Child was a reigning culinary icon and getting on in years, she attended conferences and was always front and center at the seminars.

I was thrilled to meet her, and was impressed that even then she still wanted to learn more, even from people far less accomplished than herself. That characteristic influenced my life as much as her food did. I try to live everyday like I envisioned Julia Child living, eternally curious and listening to what others have to offer.

So, it is no surprise that I took my favorite childhood chicken dish and adapted it to the grill. The grill facilitates the browning and crisping of the skin and the mustard glaze, making this one chicken that you have to eat skin and all!

It may not be exactly as Julia intended, but it certainly brings her spirit into my home every time I make it, and I hope it will bring her into your home.

Source:http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120516/LIFESTYLES02/205150340/Famed-chicken-recipe-meets-grill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails